So a few days ago, I asked the citizens of Instagram what books they think should be "required reading". Although it's not a super popular phrase, most book lovers have books that have helped them build the foundation of their general knowledge base. It's only right that they share them with the people!
Here's what they had to say:
1. "Homegoing is on my re-read list" ~ @leaxrenee
2. "Homegoing was fire! ~ @nadajo
3. "Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about Race x Reni Eddo- Lodge" ~@thesolreader
4. "Some of my fav writers! Baldwin is always speaking to my spirit!" ~@womencreativeschat
5. "Well-Read Black Girl is definitely one I felt is required reading. Hearing from other Black women about the bools that impacted them, as well as the list of recommended books after each section is important for the culture. Those lists contained lots of books I'd never heard of but are now on my radar. Thick and other Essays by Tressi McMillan Cottom is another one." ~@bookmindedmag
6. "Their Eyes Were Watching God, How to be Anti-Racist, and Beloved" ~ @nicolediwag
7. "I'd say 'Beloved' by Toni Morrison for sure." ~ @_kylee_c
8. "'I Miss you When I Blink' for all mothers" ~ @readingvscooking
9. "Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue was a good one." ~ @chkltgem
10. "I second The Warmth of Other Suns! Also: Redefining Realness and Surpassing Certainty by Janet Mock. Sula by Toni Morrison, The Fire this Time by Jasmyn Ward, and Negroland by Margo Jefferson."
"Also Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo"
11. "I've read half of these, adding the two I haven't to my tbr list. I'd say 'Men we Reaped' by Jasmyn Ward should be require reading" ~ @gab2411
12. "Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde" ~ @womanistbibliophile
13. "I think Sister Souljia Midnight series should be required reading." ~ @literarychocolate
I'd like to give the biggest of shout outs to all the citizens of Instagram who gave suggestions. You never know whose life you just changed!
What other books do you feel should be on this list?
~As always, Indulge Endlessly.